Saturday 20 October 2018

More North East Norfolk Birding

Norwich - 14th Oct

In my last post I failed to mention my flying visit too Cotessey to see the Rosie Starling. Having to visit Longwater Retail park it would have been silly not to look despite the light drizzle in the air. I got out of the car and Laura parked just around the corner. Within seconds the bird popped up over a rooftop ridge. I watched for a minute before realising Laura could see just as clearly from the opposite side of the house. So we watched for 5 minutes from the car before the bird dropped from view and we went shopping.

Trimingham/Paston Cliffs - 16th Oct
See previous post.

Happisburgh - 17th Oct

After the success of Tuesday I felt optermistic about Wednesday so after finishing physio at 10am I killed two hours at Happisburgh. Parking by the village hall, the cricket pitch hedge held a couple of Goldcrest and the church yard 2 Blackcap, a Chiffchaff and mixed tit flock. I took a slow walk along get beach road knowing a Pallas Warbler was nearby on Tuesday, I probably took 45 minutes to walk 150m. But picking through the tits and finches present I was rewarded with my favourite stripy sprite, a Pallas Warbler near the Manor's orchard gates. 2 Blackcap, 4+ Goldcrest and a Chiffchaff were nearby. Redwing streamed overhead just as on Tuesday and grounded Blackbird were evident. By the track to the long gone lifeboat shed c15 Brambling fed in the sycamores and a skulky Dunnock held my attention too long. Along the cliffs by the old coastguard's a good number of Skylark and Meadow Pipit were probably mainly migrants. A smallish looking bunting among these drew my attention but I was a ready running late to collect Agnes. I did however manage a grainy record shot which on reviewing at home looked larger and was probably just a strangely marked Reed Bunting, rather than something rarer.

Paston Cliffs - 18th Oct

A flying visit found the cliff top patch surprisingly quite. Tuesdays 2 Lapland Bunting flying over again the only highlight. A 20 minute sea watch only produced a steady stream of Gannet East, a few lingering Red-throated Diver off shore and few Wigeon West. Friday meant a return to work and the deminished chance of more autumn migrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment