Monday 8 October 2018

Blyth's Reed Warbler and other Migrants

I had decided to head out to Blakeney Point after dropping Agnes at Nursery at 8am. I though this would be my best chance to see the bird, rather than wait for news and then set off. The day started in shambolic style, putting Agnes in the car I realised my walking boots had just been driven to Norwich with my wife, rushing for Nursery I grabbed my sandals to drive in and threw my wellies in the boot, not ideal footwear to tackle the Point! Then halfway to Blakeney for some reason I glanced onto the back seat, S**T no binocluars, driving back home I found them by the boot rack.

After a very brief pull into Walsey Hills, where a Jack Snipe was on view from the road, I belatedly arrived in Cley's Beach Road car park about 9.30am. At least by this time a report had just come out that the Bylth's Reed Warbler had stayed overnight. Knowing the tides was going out I took the long slog out on the shingle, reserving sandy beach for my walk back.

Not far beyond the fishing boats I had a female Brambling emerge from the sueada, but I was almost at Halfway House before the next notable bird, a male Ring Ouzel. Near the Hood a Yellow-browed Warbler skirted the saltmarsh margins, flitting a few more yards every time I approached. There seemed good numbers of Meadow Pipit and Linnet around and 4 juv. Gannet passed close to the shore, along with groups of Wigeon and Teal.


Approaching the Plantation 4/5 Wheatear frequented the short grass, but no birder watchers. I made myself comfortable and had only been seated 5 minutes when the Blyth's Reed Warbler was chased from the brambles by a Yellow-browed Warbler. This diminutive bird must have suffered from Napoleon complex as preceded to chase everything. The Blyth's Reed showed on and off for 5-10 minutes before again being chased. I watched the Plantation for the next hour as a few other birders arrived. The Blyth's failed to reappear, but 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap, a Chiffchaff and Goldcrest all showed on and off.


I wandered over to the Old Lifeboat House and soon located a smart pair of Stonechat, while watching these I noticed a thrush disappear behind the toilet block. Further investigation revealed a lone Fieldfare and 6 Redwing in the brambles, but also another Lesser Whitethroat and a Barred Warbler. The Barred Warbler showed well as it ate blackberries before being disturbed by the Redwing. After a further 10 minutes by the Plantation I decided to walk back via the Dunes. A second Brambling of the day was in the dunes and a couple of Chaffinch appeared a little out of place on the beach.

A slow amble back along the surf was easy on the feet and gave me a chance enjoy the warm sun that had broken through. A couple of species jellyfish were on the beach, I only photographed one but have no idea on ID. Back at the car by 2.30pm I though about going to Waxham for the Ortolan Bunting, but my legs said no!


No comments:

Post a Comment