Tuesday 2 October 2018

A bit more sea watching

Paston Cliffs - 26th September

Again the winds were not ideal, but I was able to start sea watching at Paston just after 7am, so I was hopeful of at least a few birds passing through early. Shortly after arriving I heard the unmistakable 'wink-wink' call of Pink-footed Geese and soon saw my first returning birds of the Autumn with c60 heading east. With relatively strong north-westerly winds the day before most bird seen seemed to be passing back west. During the hour I watched the sea only 5 Gannet, 3 Sandwich Tern and 4 Cormorant headed East. These were joined by 4 Pink-footed Geese low over the sea and a small skein of 14 Brent Geese also heading east. Birds were heading West in slightly larger numbers, highlights being 3 Velvet Scoter among 23 Common Scoter, a lone Arctic Skua harassing Sandwich Tern and single Balearic and Manx Shearwater. A group of c15 Teal also headed west.

While sea watching two further skeins of c70 and c60 Pink-footed Geese flew overhead. Scanning the paddocks and scrub were very unproductive with only resident birds seen, a late House Martin flew East and a lone Stock Dove was on the freshly drilled field.


Trimingham - 26th September

After popping home and applying a second coat of paint in the kitchen, I was left with the choice of watching paint dry, food shopping or another walk. I opted for a second walk followed by shopping.
Walking the cliff top fields and the clifftop woods failed to turn up anything of note, and the scrub behind the Pilgrim Shelter only held a couple of Chiffchaff.

Cley Marshes NWT - 27th September

With a day off from DIY I headed for Cley after dropping Agnes at Pre-School. I wasn't expecting much but decided on a change of scenery from the patch. The daily sightings board was still empty so I headed for the main hide cluster. An educational group had taken over Dauke's Hide, so positioned myself looking over Simmond's Scrape in Avocet Hide, but I could see no waders. The reason for this was soon obvious, with a male Peregrine sitting in the middle of one of the small islands. After 10 minutes and only a flyby Marsh Harrier I relocated into Teal Hide looking over Pat's Pool. A few Ruff and Dunlin were on show if a little distant, but before I could scan for anything more interesting, the Peregrine flew through scattering everything. A Common Sandpiper bobbed along the far bank once the birds eventually settled and after further scanning the previous days Pectoral Sandpiper was found feeding with the Ruff and Dunlin. A small flock of Golden Plover were a sign of the changing seasons. The Peregrine's third appearance was my cue to head back to the visitor center for a cup of tea. Driving down Beach Road I hoped to see the reported Purple Sandpiper by the sluice however maintenance work on the West Bank meant there was lots of heavy machinery about so I couldn't park. I contented myself with a leisurely drive home, via the back roads.

Paston Cliffs - 2nd October

Today I managed to catch an hour or so sea watching between 8.00am and 9.10am. The previous days winds had subdued but there was still a strong movement of birds East. With my first Red-throated diver, Great Skua and Pomarine Skua of the Autumn. The scrub gave up no raraties to note however 4 tired looking Blackbird and 5 Robin were probably birds passing through.

Gannet x52 (e) x4 (w)
Sooty Shearwater x2 (e)
Red-throated Diver x11 (e)
Sandwich Tern x4 (e)
Cormorant x9 (e) x4 (w)
Great Skua x1 (e)
Arctic Skua x1 (w)
Pomarine Skua x1 (e)
Shelduck x1 (e)
Common Scoter x5 (w)
Wigeon x36 (w)
Great Crested Grebe x1 (e)
Guillemot x2 (w)


No comments:

Post a Comment