Tuesday 16 October 2018

Local Birders in the mist

The forecast didn't look like much, but this morning I woke to a heavy mist shrouding the house, always good for a fall of migrants. I decided to head to Trimingham knowing that a Lapland Bunting had recently been present. I parked up near the church and noted a few Chaffinch and Brambling around the church yard. I then spotted Mike Lawrence (Back in Birdland) with his camera suggesting something might be about. Behind the Pottery Mike was waiting for an illusive warbler in the scrub, after a brief chat I continued further on to the clifftop wood. The mist was slowly clearing and Redwing streamed in, in small groups along with the odd Fieldfare and Song Thrush. The clifftop wood was full of Goldcrest 30+ but I couldn't make out anything rarer than 2 Chiffchaff and a Blackcap. Joining to other birders we walked the cliff and small copse, Redwing and Goldcrest topped the list, but Skylark and Meadow Pipit appeared to come in-off the sea. Walking back we flushed the Lapland Bunting present for a few days, c400 Starling passed over in two groups and the fields seemed alive with Meadow Pipit and Pied Wagtail.

Back by the Pottery the illusive Dusky Warbler found earlier was still being illusive, I was directed to it's last known location and left alone to wait. After 30 minutes or so the bird finally called and I managed brief views, clearly showing its bright supercilium. Despite the bird continuing to call on and off I only managed a couple of typical skulking views.

After the success of Trimingham I decided I should check the patch at Paston Cliffs. Getting out of the car incoming Thrushes were obvious, especially Redwing. 5 Goldcrest flitted about by the cliff edge track. I then spotted 2 Lapland Bunting drinking from a small puddle only feet away. The now resident Stonchat flitted in the Brambles, and a very large Goldfinch/Linnet flock was on the fallow field. I then meet Bob Cobbold, another local birder and over the the next hour we chatted and walked the small area.

A Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap and a Chiffchaff were seen along with a decent amount of grounded Song Thrush and Blackbird The Lapland Bunting flew over again, before we were both drawn to an unusual bird for the patch, a Coal Tit. With gingery flanks and a slatey blue back the birds showed characteristics of the continental race. That capped of a very pleasant morning spent unexpectedly in the company of some local birders, whom I know I share my patch with but we very rarely bump into.


No comments:

Post a Comment