Monday 5 March 2018

A Snowy Patch

Last Wednesday (28th) after a failed attempt to drive Laura to work in Norwich, and after the worst of the snow had eased I decided to have a wander around the Quiet Lanes near the house. Before I left the garden I had 4 Fieldfare fly over the house and a Brambling under the feeders. The wind was whipping up as I crossed the the fields and the snow was starting to drift.


By the humped-back bridge a few Fieldfare and Redwing were by the hedge but it was rather quiet, and by the Alpaca Field 4 Song Thrush scrapped about. It was by Pond Cottage that I found a large mixed Finch and Tit flock, that held Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits as well as two Coal Tits.. Goldfinch and Chaffinch dominated the finches but a few Greenfinch and 3 Brambling were also around, along with two Goldcrest and a possible Chiffchaff I only got a fleeting glimpse of. On the lane towards Antingham Pond a Yellowhammer was in the hedge and two Stock Dove appear to be paired up. In the trees by the pond I could hear both Siskin and Redpoll but could only see a few Siskin in the Alder. Peeking through the hedge most of the pond was frozen over with a resident Mute Swan, Canada and Greylag Geese and Mallard present, but no obviously over wintering wildfowl. By Lyngate Gardens another large group of birds was taking advantage of feeders in the gardens, but again it was predominantly the common finches and tits, although a Mistle Thrush was on the paddock and 3 more Stock Dove were nearby. In the pine belt last year I saw Firecrest and I thought I may have heard one again, but couldn't see anything, but another 2 Coal Tit were nice to see. Walking back via the Industrial Estate I scanned the gulls on the factory roof but saw nothing of interest before heading home for a warming cuppa.


On Thursday all roads in and out of North Walsham were blocked by deep snow drifts, while building a snowman Fieldfare once again flew over the garden and one of the juv. Blackbird was being fed, sadly I later found the second drown in the pond.

Over the last week or so as well as the numerous Buzzard and Kestrel often seen between North Walsham and Norwich, we also saw 2 Barn Owl, a Little Owl (25th) and a Tawny Owl (2nd) on our commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment