Monday 19 March 2018

More Snowiness

After the disappointment of not being able to get to see the Snowy Owl in North Norfolk, a combination of no car, work and Mother's Day commitments left me only able too look at pictures on friends blogs.

On Friday 16th we headed down to South Wales to visit family, I knew I wouldn't have time to target any rare birds on route or while there, but that I should have time for a local walk or two. On Friday after arriving mid-morning I got to stretch my legs with a short walk around Diamond Park in Ystadglanlais, a landscaped old colliery (Diamond Colliery). Bird life was as expected, tits, finches and thrushes but what was nice to see was the large numbers of Song Thrush. Walking by the River Tawe I saw at least 3 of one of my favourite little birds, Dipper, despite the river flowing very fast after overnight rain. The birds were very vocal I assume staking out territories. On my return to the house a Red Kite was drifting over the roof tops at aerial height.


Saturday afternoon I had two or three hours free and set my sights on scaling a nearby hill/mountain (Fartag Hill) to get views over the valley, but with no local maps it was a bit off the hoof. I started off in Diamond Park, getting crippling views of Bullfinch, before stumbling across Wern Plemys Nature Reserve. The information boards highlight the array of orchids here but I had to make do with lots and lots of Scarlet Elfcap fungus. After following a disused railway line I stumbled across footpath and headed further uphill. No great wildlife highlights, but great views of the town. Walking back I visited the remains of a local Tin Works before again following the river and admiring a few Dipper and also close views of Grey Wagtail.

Sunday I woke up to 2 inches of snow, no mountain climbing, but a snowy walk along the riverside and Diamond Park with the family.


Today (19th) back in Norfolk I spent the morning in the woods near Witton cutting firewood. After a quick cuppa I had a wander and disturbed 11 Woodcock on the edge of the wood. In this area a few weeks ago I only saw 1, the result of new birds from the continent moved by the Beast from the East? After lunch  I had a wander at Bacton, unsurprisingly no migrants on the clifftop but Turnstone, Oystercatcher and a few gulls on the beach, including at least 1 adult Little Gull. The biggest surprise was the state of the beach with most of the sand washed away and the slipway rendered useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment