Monday 26 March 2018

Alderfen NWT

With a couple of hours free on Saturday I decided to visit a reserve I've never call in on before despite it being only a 15 minute drive away. Alderfen Broad is between the villages of Neatishead and Irstead, but despite knowing exactly where the  reserve was I couldn't locate the car park so parked up on the road to the SE of the reserve and walked in along a public footpath. The car park is down a long unmarked dirt track.


Walking through the wet woodland I saw Blue Tit, Great Tit and a Goldcrest, a small group of Redpoll also flew over. The first signs of spring migrants for the year came in the form of 3 Chiffchaff, none of which were singing though. Making it to the viewing screen, I read in the sightings book a Gargany was present the previous day. I had no luck locating it but there are lots of reedy margins to hide in. 30+ Wigeon, 20+ Tufted Duck, a Great Crested Grebe and a few Coot the birds on the water. With later commitments I wandered back to the car, seeing all the common Tits again. Back by the car I viewed a pair of Marsh Tit interacting at close quarters, a delicate bird I love to see.

A nice little reserve I will definitely visit again, hopefully I'll also find the car park next time, now I knew where it is. It should be noted water levels are high so wellies are advisable as the paths are sticky in places.

No comments:

Post a Comment