Sunday 4 February 2018

A Heron Filled Afternoon

Arriving back from shopping in Norwich at 2pm I was going to have a wander around the lanes behind the house, but Laura said I should go look for the Glossy Ibis at Great Yarmouth after i'd mentioned it earlier in the day.

Getting into the car a Grey Heron flew over the garden and on the way to Yarmouth two Common Crane flew over the road at Repps. A Great White Egret has been on the marshes near to the Caister Tesco's store and approaching Yarmouth Greyhound Stadium it was hard not to miss the GWE feeding in a ditch only a few meters from the edge of the main road.


Pulling into Bure Park in Yarmouth I ended up parking in the overflow just inside the gate, I didn't realise the main car park was slightly further along the track. While putting on my boots I spotted 2 Moorhen walking on the flooded/marshy meadow, initially totally missing the Glossy Ibis only meters away from me just the other side of the dyke. I moved slightly further along to get better views, with the ditch side reeds in the way. I then wandered over to the river bank where while looking at a herd of Mute Swan spotted my 5th Heron species withing an hour with 2 Little Egret in flight over the marsh.

Rather annoyingly with the Ibis being so close, I was more than annoyed to discover that I had left the camera at home, I had to make due with a quick record shot on my phone. With such good views and no camera, i'd had my fill after 20 minutes or so and thought I might still have time for a 20min look for Shorelark at Happisburgh, but driving home the skies darkened. Driving through a heavy wintery shower, I cut my loses after a nice afternoon and headed home for a warming cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment