Saturday 20 January 2018

A Windy Walk-about

On Thursday (18th) Agnes was invited to play at a friends giving me a couple of hours to myself. After collecting the new car last weekend it also meant I could think about more than a walk around the block. I decided to head for Sheringham looking for the Black Redstart and Waxwing of previous days.

After the overnight storm the wind was still quite strong and there was plenty of debris to dodge on the road. I got to Sheringham about 9.30 parking by the RNLI slope a brief hunt failed to locate the Black Redstart. But from this view point and walking East along the prom I saw numerous Guillemot flying West as well as a few RT Diver and my first Gannet of the year. Just below the Mo a Purple Sandpiper was on the rocks with the Turnastone before I headed inland along back streets towards the station. There was initially no sign of the Waxwing and a fellow birder also confirmed they had had no luck. Just a few minutes later a group of Blackbird and Starling erupted from a small rear garden and among them were the 3 Waxwing. I got flight views and one briefly perched before they returned to feed in the garden. Walking back along the prom I decided to walk to the Lifeboat shed with little expectation as a digger was working on breaking up and repairing the seawall. To my surprise atop a small rubble pile only feet from the workmen the Black Redstart flitted about. I soon had to return and collect my daughter but a delightful hour or so.

After her post lunch nap Agnes got herself up and I found her in the study looking out the window, she had found my spare binoculars and informed me she was 'looking at birdies'.


No comments:

Post a Comment