Thursday 29 May 2014

Wet Black-headed Bunting & RB Shrike

Yesterday (Wed 27th) Gary called about 7pm offering a lift to look for a female Black-headed Bunting near West Runton. The kitchen was in pieces, as I had removed or the cupboards to decorate but I still went. We arrived in heavy drizzle to hear the bird had been flush and not seen for a while, after waiting for 30min or so the light was very poor, we decided the bird had probably gone to roost so headed home, only to get new that it had reappeared later.

Gary collected me at 4.30am today and we headed to West Runton. I don't think the drizzle had stopped all night, but after an hour of fruitless searching it eased off. And Gary then promptly found the bunting emerging from the garden it probably roosted in. We got good views as it perched on the house roof, and in a briefly in a roadside bush, before it headed off towards the bushes behind the old pig farm. We got reasonable scope views the the light was too poor for me to manage a good photo.

A brief stop at Beeston Bump allowed us to view the always stunning male Red-backed Shrike that is present before returning home by 7am. Writing this I've now dried out and warmed up. The light wasn't much better at Beeston, but I did manage a picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment