Thursday 1 May 2014

Putting in the Miles

Tuesday morning I spent helping dad with a few jobs, this did include a trip to Sandy Hills, a small area of the patch to the SE of town. Here I found a Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker, Mistle Thrush and 2 pairs of Shelduck, as well as common tits/finches and Whitethroat which seemed to be everywhere.

After Lunch dad dropped me off near Knapton, I planned to walk to Paston Cliffs and circle back home via Pigny’s Wood. Walking across the fields from Paston at one point 13 Skylark where floating about, and reaching the cliff top I heard the call of a Tree Pipit, it flew west along the cliff top and appeared to land but I never relocated it, but another year and patch tick for ‘the cliffs’. 3 Golden Plover were in the potato field and 4 Turnstone on the beach are worth note. Past the Camp and in the Horse Paddocks I found 2 Wheatear, a Pied Wagtail, 16 Linnet and 5 Skylark all feeding in and around a group of c20 Starling. As the footpath has fallen away I then clambered down the cliff, as I did this 2 Swallow flew through east, has summer been and gone, I know it was a bit chilly but still!

For some reason I then changed my plans thinking a look on the golf course would be good, well it wasn’t a single Wheatear the only bird of note. I then headed off across the fields via the Old Hospital towards Trunch. A skulking Willow Warbler held my attention for a while as heavy drizzle started to fall. The back road hedge held lots of Chaffinch, Tits and Whitethroat, but again nothing to excite. Although I did find a lot of what I believe are Early Purple Orchids (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong). I then continued my walk via Bradfield and Lyngate to avoid walking the main roads. The weather improved slightly and a few Swallow and House Martin were about the villages. Joining back up with my patch at Lyngate I found what I think was my favourite birds of the day, a pair of Tree Sparrow. I’ve walked this area ever couple of weeks since moving and on two occasions have thought I heard them, but it was nice to finally see them, the 4 Bullfinch that accompanied them in the same hedge were a bonus. It was a nice way to end what turned out to be a 16km walk, but should have been much shorter.


After having to stop putting our fence up, because Blue Tit have moved into one of the old bird boxes I thought I’d have a proper nose about the garden to see what other birds might be nesting. The results for my relatively small garden were surprising, 3 Blackbird, 2 Dunnock, 1 Robin, 1 Great Tit and 1 Blue Tit nests.

Driving home from work last night (Wednesday),  I nearly made Laura crash the car, shouting out ‘Cuckoo’ as we passed through Crostwright, as my first Cuckoo of the year was perched atop of a roadside tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment