Thursday 13 December 2018

More Christmas Shopping

Each year work permit us one extra day off at Christmas, on Thursday (6th) we attended Agnes' first Nativity, she was 'The Star'. By about 10am I was free to go and try to finish my Christmas shopping and planned to head to Holt.

News of an unseasonal Red-rumped Swallow, meant a detour via Cley was inevitable. Luckily I could see the RRS as I pulled in by the East Bank. The bird hawked away over my head for 10 minutes, before I decided I should actually do some shopping. A couple of the shops I planned to visit were closed so I was soon heading off again. I'm not a great fan of shopping and after another brief stop I somehow found myself at Titchwell RSPB! Driving via the lanes near Choseley I came across two Corn Bunting my first of the year, but little else worthy of note.

Titchwell reserve was very quiet, on my stomp out to the beach I passed only 2 or 3 people. The tide was out so I walked out to the gun platform to view the sea. I soon found a group of Goldeneye just beyond the surf, followed by a lone juvenile Eider and two Great Crested Grebe. Over the next 30 minute a few auk passed distantly, I found a few Long-tailed Duck, a passing Great Northern Diver and a Red necked Grebe. It always amazes me how you miss birds scanning a relatively flat sea, as from nowhere a Slavonian Grebe appeared close inshore. By the dunes a kind gent pointed out a Black throated Diver towards Brancaster, it's been a while since I've seen one on the deck and it surprised me the definition on black and white. Back on the fresh marsh I located a Water Pipit in the cut reed margins and a Water Rail called unseen by reception.

Heading toward Norwich to have dinner and late night shopping with Laura a Red Kite drifted by between Fakenham and Guist.

I have just about completed my Chrismas shopping now and also don't expect to add more birds to my year list. Atleast I won't have to by petrol station gifts on Xmas eve after going on a twitch!


No comments:

Post a Comment