Sunday 30 December 2018

The Final Birds of 2018

Filby - 21st Dec

Just before Christmas I found myself not far from Filby so stopped in to look for the red head Smew. Agnes was very excited but once I had wrestled my scope off her I couldn't locate the Smew on Filby Broad. A walk down to the viewing platform over Ormsby Broad also was unsuccessful, but while walking back through the trees I saw a small duck land. Finding a better view we watched the Smew diving for a few minutes before it swam out of view.

North Walsham - 30th Dec

With Christmas and work commitments I wasn't expecting any birding before January 1st, but news of possibly my favorite British bird a Dipper a few miles from home couldn't be turned down.  I popped out at first light calling first at Ebridge Mill without luck. I drove the short distance to Briggate Mill no Dipper but at least I meet a fellow birder. I also came across two Red Deer stags by the roadside. I drove home via Ebridge, again I found myself alone, and initially I saw no bird. A final quick look by the mill pool overflow and the Dark-bellied Dipper was only a few meters away. The bird was very confiding allowing me close enough to get photos with my small compact camera. A delightful bonus bird to end the year.

Happy New Year and Happy Birding.




No comments:

Post a Comment