Friday 7 September 2012

1st Autumn Migrant Hunt

I haven't forgotten about my blog, but simply haven't been birdwatching much since returning from my Honeymoon back in June. I've run the moth trap a few times but with nothing to shout about let alone blog about.

Yesterday I was hoping to joing Gary driving down to Dorset to see the Short-billed Dowitcher, but work messing up the rota left me very annoyed and having to work! I have a holiday booked only a mile down the road from Lodmoor RSPB at the end of the month, fingers crossed.

Being deprived of a twitch, I had to get out to the coast today to release some frustration. Laura and i headed to Grambrough Hill at Salthouse, a favourate migrant haunt of mine. Lots of Curlew on the grazing marshes, showed a little promise but hunting around the bushes we could only turn up a Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Whitethroat. A small group of Pinkfoot Geese on the marshes to the north of the Dun Cow though were rather early arrivals.

Moving onto Cley Marshes, we could see a lone Spoonbill from the visitor center. From Daukes hide we soon were directed to a Pectoral Sandpiper on Simmonds Scrape as well as 3 Curlew Sandpiper. The scapes held many more birds than recent visits, as well as the regular waders we picked out, 2 Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover, Little Stint and Yellow-legged Gull. Content with this we headed to the deli in Cley to fill up on Sausage Rolls and cake! I might run the moth trap tonight as its been a nice warm day.

No comments:

Post a Comment