Monday 12 November 2018

A Little Birthday Birding

On Thursday (8th), my Birthday  Laura and I started off at Sheringham having a full English Breakfast. Before this we had a quick look for the King Eider from the Lifeboat slope. It didn't take us long to locate the bird on a calm flat sea, we both had good scope views before heading off for breakfast. Walking back to the car a Red-throated diver was seen close in and a Purple Sandpiper flew past.

Next stop was Felbrigg, and parking up by the back gate we first had a wander in the woods seeing the usual suspects. We then bumped into some old neighbours, so had a coffee and a chat, sitting it the warm sun of the courtyard before walking the lake loop. A female Mandarin on the water meadows was the only note worthy bird.

Walking to work in the morning I have started to see wildlife and birds start to move back into the city centre for the Winter. On the 26th October I saw a dog Otter near New Mills Yard and in the same area a Water Rail on 5th November. The Grey Wagtail are now a regular sight but not so the regular Kingfishers of last year. Also on the 5th November a Black Redstart was seen singing at the top of Lower Goat Lane.

Today (12th) after the Nursery drop off I headed to Horsford to see if I could catch up with the Parrot Crossbill as I,m busy for the next few days. After a short while I heard and located a small group of Crossbill in the pines. Among their called I could hear a deeper sounding call and after 30 minutes of watching in the dense tree tops got brief views of a male Parrot Crossbill. I continued my wander hoping to locate a larger group of Crossbill that might hold the additional reported Parrot Crossbill and hopefully better views. This I failed to do however the woods were full of interesting fungi and numerous groups of small birds including a lone Brambling and a Siskin flock.


After typing up this post I noticed that yesterday's Pallid Swift from Sheringham had been relocated near Overstrand, and with 55 minutes before pickup at Nursery I decided to attempt a 'Swift' Twitch in more than once sense. Driving towards Cromer I got stuck behind a bus and then a tractor, so it was almost 11.30am when I parked. A quick jog across the golf course and I was viewing the Pallid Swift cutting along the cliff edge in the company of a House Martin. Five minutes of decent views and I had to rush off again. This bird would be a Norfolk Tick hence the rush, having seen one other Pallid Swift in Suffolk, but half way home I remembered seeing a Pallid Swift at Cley, whoops! 


No comments:

Post a Comment