Sunday, 4 March 2012

Marlingford, Marlingford and Marlingford Again

Since my last update i seem to have spent lots of time visiting Marlingford looking for the Great White Egret. My 1st visit on the 20th Feb was sadly cut short as i had to return home after news Laura's Great Gran had died, but before going home i had found 2 Buzzard a 2 Little Egret.

The following day dad and i sent an hour or so at Happisburgh by the Coast Guards, a large flock of Brent Geese held 3 Pale bellied Brent. A small group of Twite, Meadow Pipit and Skylark were in the stubble and a Great Northern Diver flew through south. During a brief stop at Walcott we found a Med Gull and Turnstone ran everywhere as normal. Driving around the back roads a RL Buzzard was breifly seen along with 5 Common Buzzard and a couple of Sparrowhawk. A final stop behind Mundesley Holiday revealed nothing of note.

On the 26th before and after going to Sainbury's Laura and i looked for the GW Egret again without success. On the 2nd March however i did catch up with the GW Egret with the bird finally raising a head up above the vegetation. Waiting for the car wash at Longwater a Red Kite drifted over and a Bullfinch sat i the bushes no more that 6ft away to complete a delightful 30 minutes.

On Saturday 3rd Gary picked me up mid morning and we headed again for Marlingford. From the Bawburgh Road we could not see the GW Egret so headed for Marlingford Mill to look for the American Wigeon reported the previous day. By the church a Red Kite drifted over. The Red Kite had apparently just scared the widgeon flock so we had to wait awhile for the drake American Wigeon to show. While there we also saw a Little Egret, Grey Wagtail and Nuthatch.

We then spent most of the afternoon at Titchwell, pleasantly quiet without 'birding tours' filling the hides. We did first stopped at Choseley watching c40 Yellowhammer and c20 Corn Bunting. From the Island Hide we failed to locate the reported for Mandarin or Scaup on the Fresh Marsh. The Brackish Marsh held 3 nice Spotted Redshank very close in but not the Smew reported earlier. The sea proved to be much more successful, with his first scan Gary picked up the Velvet Scoter, drake Scaup, many Goldeneye and 4 Longtailed Duck all close in. Walking back the redhead Smew reappeared on the Brackish Marsh and although the Mandarin was still elusive from the Parrinder Hide I did pick up a early returning Sand Martin flying west. A final scan from the path and Gary located the female Mandarin asleep in the reeds. The Arctic Redpoll remained in the picnic area and showed well before we left.

A drink at the Dun Cow as the sun started to set was a nice end to the day, despite not seeing to many birds it was nice sitting in the garden looking over the marsh, has spring sprung?

No, as i finish this post (Monday) its been raining all day with sleet this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment