Wednesday 10 August 2011

Waders at Thorpe

From experience I've learnt not to be at Cley when rain in forecast, the only sure thing is you'll get soaked. So despite my initial intention to look for the Pectoral Sandpiper, Spoonbill and Little Stints, i decided to keep nearer home and went down to Thorpe Station Marsh. Approaching the footbridge over the railway i noticed a family of Linnet and a Whitethroat on the rough ground. From the cattle pen the mashes and scrape were deserted so i walked along the river bank to view the spit and shingle. I soon found the Lapwing that recently have been gathering on the scrape area, I counted 46, but also 5 Greenshank, 4 Oystercatcher and 2 Green Sandpiper. The most waders I've seen on site at once. Walking the rest of the circuit I flushed c30 Stock Doves from the grazing marsh, but saw little else, 2 Blue Tit, 1 Wren and a few Carrion Crow. though I did think i heard a Yellow Wagtail overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment