Sunday 7 October 2018

Patch-tastic

This morning (7th) Laura, Agnes and myself decided to have a wander around Blickling NT. While walking the park land and around the lake 3 groups a Redwing flew overhead my first of the Autumn. A Green Woodpecker was seen a very close quarters, and 2 others more distant. 2 Mistle Thrush were by the formal gardens and a probable Hawfinch briefly in the beeches by the lake.

Laura offered too cook an evening roast, but that meant I couldn't paint the kitchen ceiling so by 2pm I found myself once again at Paston Cliffs.

On getting out of the car the patch felt and sounded different, with the resident Dunnock families rather adjatated, there were extra birds about. By the cliff edge track I soon located a tit flock unusual in itself here, with Long-tailed, Blue and Great Tit together, but also a Yellow-browed Warbler in tow.

Close by another warbler drew my attention, it appeared to be a Lesser Whitethoat but with more extensive brown tones, possible 'Siberian' characteristics now I'm looking in a book, but I'll never know as it dissopeared into the scrub and re-emerging as my second Yellow-browed Warbler!

A group of pipit appeared to come in-off and all looked like Meadow Pipit. A very grumpy Dunnock alerted me to a striking male Stonechat perched on the cliff face gorse, and this was quickly joined by a female partner. Chiffchaff and migrant Robin were also seem along the cliff. I then spent a few minutes having a stare off with Stoat only a few meters away. The potato field has been lifted and held 2 Stock Dove and a number of Skylark.

Retracing my steps I scanned the scrub and cliff face. The grumpy Dunnock was still calling but this time on the short turf nearby a Snow Bunting was yet another surprise. The YBW was still with the tit flock along with a Chiffchaff. Walking towards Mundesley there is much less scrub and thus fewer birds but a couple of Redwing appeared exhausted near the paddocks.

With earlier news of  RB Flycatcher at Trimingham and a few GG Shrike appearing along the coast I detoured home via the quiet lanes of Gimingham and Trimingham taking it slow. No GG Shrike and the RB Flycatcher had not been seen again, however a flock of c.20 Brambling where in Trimingham church yard. A lone Fieldfare was seen drinking from a puddle near Trunch to complete my migrants for the afternoon.

I now have 10 days off work, with only a kitchen ceiling to paint and migrants arriving, maybe this year I've timed my Autumn holiday right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment